Each year the city provides a bulky item pickup to half of Overland Park using Antioch as the dividing line.
2019 Pickup Schedule
Single-family through four-plex homes east of Antioch will have bulky item pickup service in the fall of 2019.
The schedule of weekends will be published as soon as it is available.
The program served homes west of Antioch in 2018.
Regulations for Pickup
The large item program only serves single through four-plex households with individual trash service. Communities with dumpster-style trash service are not included in the program.
Please have your bulky trash items at the curb no later than 7:00 a.m. the day of, but no sooner than 5:00 p.m. the day before your scheduled pickup date.
Up to five of the following types of items will be accepted per household:
- Mattresses, which will be recycled. Please use this form to let us know if you will be leaving a mattress.
- White goods such as appliances like refrigerators, freezers, washing machines and clothes dryers. Only one refrigerator per household will be accepted.
- Electronic items, such as televisions, computers, or monitors.
- Lawnmowers, which must be empty of any fuel or oil.
- Carpeting, up to four-foot-long rolls that are securely tied, less than 50 pounds in weight. Two rolls count as one item.
The following will not be accepted:
- Hazardous waste including flammable, explosive/reactive, corrosive/caustic, toxic/poisonous, radioactive or biologically active.
- Automotive battery, engine oil or fuel tank.
- Compressed gas cylinders.
- Glass panels where any dimension exceeds four feet.
- Wood fencing and decking materials.
- Yard waste.
- Latex or oil-based paint.
- Fertilizer, pesticide, solvent.
- Liquid waste.
- Solid waste and recycling material that are collected as part of regular curbside service.
- Any waste or material that is prohibited from being received, managed or disposed of at a landfill.
- Riding lawnmowers.
Residents can schedule a drop-off for many of these items at the Johnson County Hazardous Waste facility in Mission.
Consider the environment before throwing away any items. Anyone can recycle extra items at the city's Recycling Extravaganza.
On your scheduled bulky item collection day, residents with fencing, decking, construction and demolition waste, or rigid items exceeding four feet in length may bring the items to the Dennis Garrett Public Works facility, 11300 W. 91st St., from 8 a.m. - 3 p.m. Proof of residency on that day's collection area will be required.
Only the following items will be accepted at the drop-off site:
- Wood fencing
- Concrete building material, rocks and soil
- Construction or demolition materials including drywall, lumber and roofing material
- Rigid items exceeding four foot in length
To learn more about the city's bulky item pickup service, contact Environment Programs Coordinator Jim Twigg at 913-895-6273.