This policy is issued to provide direction on the purpose of Overland Park's Web site, links to external Web sites, acquiring domain names, privacy for Web site visitors, publishing process, application of federal and state open records and a disclaimer.
- Purpose of city's Web site
- External Web links
- E-mail addresses
- Domain names
- Publishing process
- Web site calendar
- Use of city's logo
- Access to open records
City: The City of Overland Park, Kansas
Domain Name: Address typed in to reach a Web site. An address of a computer network connection that identifies the owner of the address by a series of letters, words or numbers separated by periods, such as www.opkansas.org.
Home Page: Any document on the World Wide Web that is a starting point for finding other information, typically the entry page of a Web site.
Internet: Computers on networks that are linked to each other throughout the world.
Link (Hyperlink): A part of a Web page (text or graphic) that causes a new Web page to be displayed when it is selected, usually by clicking on it. Expressed as a "link to" or "link from" a Web site or page.
World Wide Web (the Web, www, or W3): A full-color, multimedia database of information on the Internet that is comprised of electronic pages (Web pages) that are connected together.
Web Site: A collection of electronic pages of information on a Web server that is displayed via the Internet.
Web Server: The hardware and software that is required to make Web pages available (for delivery to others) on networks.
Web Administration: Staff members responsible for information updates and technical operation of a Web site.
It is the City of Overland Park's intent to maintain and update its Web site, www.opkansas.org, to provide electronic access to general and specific information and to interact with residents, business owners/operators, visitors and others concerning municipal operations and services, policies, projects and safety. The Web site is intended to provide electronic access to municipal services and information that furthers the goal of exemplary customer service that is both responsive and innovative.
In establishing and maintaining its official Web site, the city does not intend in any manner to create a forum or other means by which public discourse, exchange of opinions, or discussion on issues of any nature may occur within the Web site. The sole and limited purpose of the city's Web site is to provide factual information about the City of Overland Park including various services and resources available within and around the city, or as may be available from other governmental agencies.
The city's Web site is to be used to facilitate dialogue, online transactions and provide essential information requested by residents, visitors and businesses.
It is the city's policy to encourage all city departments to use the Web site as an effective means to highlight services and to communicate with citizens and target groups, including community leaders and organizations, local and potential businesses, local and potential residents, visitors and city employees, and to educate the community about how government works.
The city's Web site may provide links to other electronic sites that serve and promote these interests site solely in conformance with this policy. Editorial judgment will be exercised in determining which links are relevant, fulfill the purpose of the city's Web site and conform to this policy.
The Communications Division of the City Manager's Office manages the city's Web site with technical assistance from the Information Technology (IT) Department.
This Web site complies with all applicable federal, state and local laws.
The Web site is the exclusive property of the City of Overland Park, Kansas.
Consistent with the foregoing policy, it is the city's policy to limit external links to the following kinds of entities and organizations. The following criteria will be used to decide whether to grant requests for city Web site links.
The city's Web site may provide links to:
- Governmental and educational institutions.
- Organizations with some relationship to the city (including but not limited to: organizations contracting with the city, organizations sponsoring city activities or programs, organizations in a city-owned or managed facility and organizations participating in city activities or programs).
- Organizations providing information about employment opportunities in the city's area.
- Area utility companies that provide service to residents and businesses.
- Non-profit or public agencies that have a business relationship with the city including but not limited to professional and trade organizations that can further the dissemination of information relative to programs, activities or projects sponsored by the City of Overland Park.
- Organizations, Web sites or agencies that serve as a resource for city staff members in the performance of their official duties.
- Tourist information, arts, cultural and similar organizations or events of general interest to Overland Park residents, business owners/operators, visitors and others, principally from the Overland Park Convention and Visitors Bureau, www.opcvb.org.
- Business information from the Economic Development Council, www.opedc.org, that provides specific information about the community and its demographics to prospective corporations evaluating Overland Park as a business site.
- Third-party contractual services purchased by the city.
- Organizations participating in co-sponsorship with the city.
- Other sites which are appropriate to the mission of the City of Overland Park.
The creation of a link from the city's Web site to other sites does not constitute an endorsement of products or services of these sites by the City of Overland Park. The city is not liable for the defamatory, offensive or illegal conduct of other users, links, or third parties.
Commercial sites offering information relating to tourism, education, governmental services or other community information may be provided a link at the city's discretion. Any links to sites of this nature will, if possible, be made directly to the information or feature that is deemed to be in the public interest - not to the main page of the commercial site. No commercial titles, icons or banners will be provided to any commercial site in exchange for links.
The city's Web site will not provide links to Web sites for:
- Personal campaign sites of political candidates running for local, state or federal appointed or elected offices.
- Campaign sites for political organizations or other organizations or individuals advocating a position on a local, state or federal issue.
- Sites that are associated with, sponsored by or serving a candidate for elected office, any political party or organization supporting or seeking to defeat any candidate for elective office or ballot proposal.
- Corporate or other for-profit organizations unless they fit any of the criteria stated previously.
- Links that involve or encourage illegal activities or are in violation of any of the city's adopted policies including, without limitation, policies on discrimination, sexual or other harassment or Internet usage.
- Links that involve adult business, adult entertainment, nudity, or specified sexual activities, as those terms are defined in Chapter 5.05 of the Municipal Code.
- Individual or personal home pages or Web sites.
The City of Overland Park reserves the right to:
- 1. Deny an external link application as to any person, business or organization when it is determined, following review of a complete application, that the entity or organization for which application is made does not meet the criteria set forth in this policy.
- 2. Deny an external link as to any person, business or organization, which fails to provide all required information or truthful information. Any denial by Web Administration staff members may be appealed to the City Manager's Office, who shall hear and decide the matter within a reasonable amount of time of any such written appeal.
The city reserves the right to modify or delete any link from its site at its discretion without notice or recourse. Links may be removed if:
- The city determines that the link violates this policy.
- The link no longer points to the original information or resource that was intended.
- The information is inaccurate or not trustworthy.
- Access to the information has become difficult due to odd formatting, framing, lengthy download times, etc.
- The city determines that additional links that are more relevant to the mission of the Web site should be added and the number of working links needs to be reduced to allow for those additions.
The City of Overland Park encourages links from other Web sites, especially if it benefits the city's operations and customers including residents, visitors, business owners/operators and others. However, such links should not create any electronic framing of the city's Web site, or be displayed in such a manner as to imply that the city endorses or supports any product or service.
The linking site may not link to individual graphics or tables within the city's Web site, especially in an effort to place the downloading burden on the city's servers or visitors to the site. Any link shall pass the client browser to the city's site unencumbered or in a new window.
The city reserves the right to limit the number of links and to include only carefully selected links since an excessive list of links may confuse visitors to the city's site.
Anyone, including a city employee, can suggest an external link for placement on the city's Web site. The suggestion must be submitted to the Communications Division on a form that provides:
- The name of the organization.
- An explanation of that group's primary purpose and mission.
- How the page supports the purpose of the city's Web site services and intended visitors.
Personnel in the city's Communications Division in consultation with the Law Department will make final determination regarding placement of a link. Selection criteria will include, without being limited to:
- A determination of how well the proposed link fits within the city's mission and Web design.
- The stability and trustworthiness of the site.
- The frequency of requests for adding such a link.
Each Department Director or designee will have responsibility for monitoring a link or links placed on the Web site at the request of the department in accordance with this policy. This monitoring shall occur on a regular basis and no less than monthly. The Communications Division will be notified if the link:
- Is not operating.
- Is in violation of any city policies.
- Has changed ownership.
- Has not been updated, therefore containing inaccurate or unhelpful information that can mislead or create confusion for visitors.
If any of the above conditions occurs, the Communications Division will remove the link.
To avoid any perception that the city endorses or provides favorable treatment to any private person or business enterprise, no corporate or commercial logos or direct links to vendor sites are allowed except as specifically noted herein. The city is not responsible for and does not endorse the information on any linked Web site unless the city's Web site states otherwise.
Email addresses posted on Web site
Email addresses should be listed on the Web site only for services or functions that are likely to generate a significant amount of direct inquiries from the public. The site is focused on information that is most useful to the public and should not include email addresses that are not relevant to the public.
Email sent to the City of Overland Park:
We value your feedback. If you send the city email with questions or comments about our programs or services, we do collect your email address and any other information that you volunteer. We do this to follow up on an issue, improve the content of our Web site, and occasionally, to customize its content for users. We occasionally will forward an email to other appropriate community or nonprofit organizations to assist with obtaining information for the sender or to share feedback.
One domain name will be used for referring to and marketing of the Web site.
City staff members of all departments may assist in the development of Web pages for the city's site. These pages can be created and sent to the Communications Division for editing and publication. At the request of the Communications Division, members of the IT Division may, at times, assist with development or editing of city Web pages.
The city's Web site uses a secure server for conducting online transactions. All credit card and other payment information that is transmitted to the city will be protected by 128-bit encryption technology, provided the browser is properly configured and the computer is operating properly. Security technology requires that a user have a reasonably current browser that is capable of supporting 128-bit encryption for online transactions. Current browsers such as these will activate the appropriate security features when a user enters an online transaction through this site.
In general, a user can determine whether he of she is on a secure site by looking at the symbol at the bottom of the browser screen. A user can be sure that a secure server is being used if the key is unbroken or the lock is locked.
The city limits employee access to personally identifiable information to only those employees who need access to perform a specific job. All employees are kept up-to-date on our security and privacy practices.
All events on the city's Web site calendar are sponsored or co-sponsored by the City of Overland Park, Kansas. Dates and locations are subject to change. To verify, call 913-895-6000 or email firstname.lastname@example.org during regular business hours.
The Communications Manager of the City of Overland Park must give written permission for the use, reproduction or allocation of the city's registered logo as prescribed by Governing Body Resolution 2724.
Information, including the complete Kansas Open Records Act and a summary and explanation of the Act produced by the Kansas Attorney General, can be obtained at: http://www.ksag.org.
Questions regarding the Kansas Open Records Act should be directed to the city's Freedom of Information Officer at 913-895-6150.
The materials presented on the Web site are intended primarily for the residents of the City of Overland Park, Kansas and for those outside the city limits who are interested in learning more about the city. Any person who views and uses the information presented on this Web site agrees to be subject to Kansas jurisdiction. Any dispute arising therefrom shall be decided under the laws and in the courts of Johnson County, Kansas.
This statement applies only to this Web site and its supporting city servers under the opkansas.org domain. The city reserves the right to add, modify, and delete these policies at any time without recourse due to the constantly evolving nature of technology or any other circumstances.