Independence Day Hours
The Recycling Center will close at noon on Friday, July 3. It will be closed Saturday, July 4.
- Corrugated cardboard – boxes with wavy centers.
Break boxes down flat and stack on edge inside the container.
- Paperboard – cereal or cake mix boxes, soft drink cartons, shiny/slick cardboard, phonebooks. Flatten all containers.
- Glass – food and drink containers only. Remove caps and lids. No light bulbs or ceramics.
- Plastic and cans – numbers 1-7 only, aluminum and steel food and beverage containers. Remove caps and lids and flatten containers if possible.
- Office paper – copy paper, letterhead, file folders, junk mail and envelopes.
- Magazines, catalogs and calendars.
- Newspapers or newsprint – including glossy ads, coupons, and packing paper. Bag in brown grocery bags, which are available on-site.
- Scrap metal – steel, aluminum, and other metals. No tanks, electronics, appliances, or paint cans.
- Rechargeable batteries – please ask center staff to help you with these items.
- Used clothing – if suitable for donation.
- Laser and ink jet printer cartridges.
- Books – hardback and softcover.
Christmas tree lights are accepted in December and January only.
- Light bulbs
- Fluorescent tube bulbs
- Compact fluorescent light bulbs
- Shredded paper
- Plastics, tissue, wrapper paper, and plastic bags should not be recycled with newspapers
- Alkaline or wet cell batteries, which can be safely disposed of with normal household waste.
Recyclespot.org provides information about where you can recycle items we don’t accept at the Overland Park recycling center.
Please break down all cardboard boxes and flatten all containers.
Labels can be left on containers.
Overland Park, KS 66213
7:30 a.m.-4 p.m.
8 a.m.-4 p.m.
Closed Sundays and Mondays