Household Hazardous Waste

Household cleaning materialsImproperly disposal of household hazardous waste, such as paint, oil, and fertilizers, can cause serious environmental concerns and may present a health hazard to people who come in contact with the improperly disposed items.

County residents can safely get rid of household hazardous waste products at no charge by visiting the Johnson County Environmental Department's disposal facility.

The disposal facility is available by appointment only, but appointments can easily be made by calling 913-715-6900 or online.

Household hazardous waste includes paint, oil, compact fluorescent light bulbs, gasoline, stains, solvents, insecticides and pool chemicals.

To help identify other common household hazardous waste items that shouldn't be thrown in the trash, look on product labels for words such as "corrosive," "reactive," "toxic," "flammable," or "explosive."

Some local businesses may also recycle common household items such as oil and antifreeze. Rechargeable batteries and used compact fluorescent light bulbs may be recycled at our drop-off recycling center at 11921 Hardy. Many stores such as Target, Home Depot, Radio Shack, Batteries Plus and Westlake Hardware also accept old rechargeable batteries.