Public Improvement Permit

Public improvement permits are required for privately-funded public improvements built by land developers that will ultimately be maintained by the City. These generally include streets, storm sewers, and streetlights.


Engineer of the Day
[email protected]

Permit Application

Refer to the application submittal checklist for details about what you need to apply for a public improvement permit.

Plans should be signed and sealed by a professional engineer licensed to practice in the state of Kansas.

Public improvement permits are processed as digital submission e-reviews through ePLACE. Upload your required files when prompted. Attachments cannot be uploaded once the plans and applications have been accepted for review. You can add future attachments when making a resubmittal request.

Once the plans are approved, submit final administrative items, including bids, performance and maintenance bond, insurance certificates, contractor applications, for approval. City staff will require hard copy originals of approved legal agreement and easements, but the construction plans will be available online as an attachment to the permit case.

The City’s project manager may schedule a pre-construction meeting with the contractor and assigned project inspector. In some cases, this may be waived if a meeting has already been held for the same project and the same contractors are involved.

City staff will email applicants if a meeting is required or when the permit is issued.

You can follow the permit process through ePLACE. Search by permit number to check the status of your permit.

View and Download As-Built Plans


Stormwater treatment facility certificate of completion and compliance
Developers must provide a certification of completion and compliance for all constructed stormwater treatment facilities. See the full requirements and read about additional stormwater management resources.

Detention certification
A detention facility serving the development must be certified by the design engineer, who should be a professional engineer, licensed in the State of Kansas.

The entire detention facility shall be permanently stabilized with established perennial vegetation with a density of at least 70 percent or fully sodded prior to certification. See the full requirements and read about additional stormwater management resources.

As-built grading plans
Once permitted public improvements are complete, developers must submit as-built grading plans for single-family residential developments. This allows City staff to prepare a code letter outlining the special conditions for each lot.

Developers and design engineers will be provided a copy of the codes letter when lots are released for building permit applications.

Residential plot plans
Developers must submit plot plans for new single-family or duplex residential construction as part of the building permit application.

Before a building permit is issued, the City prepares a code letter for the subdivision phase that identifies additional inspections required for grading, foundation investigations, floodplain, or drainage swale conditions unique to each particular lot.

Surveyors and builders should refer to codes letters to identify which lots have these additional conditions for plot plan submittals.


Public improvement permit fees are five percent of the construction cost of the project.

Any final plat under consideration for the project must be approved and recorded, and permit fees must be paid before the City will issue a permit.

Additional fees for any of the following may apply: