Stormwater Resources for Development

Without proper treatment, pollutants from rain, irrigation, and construction projects will flow into streams, lakes, and rivers.

Overland Park has developed a set of resources, including standards, ordinances, and policies, that builders must follow when creating new projects in the city.


Engineer of the Day
[email protected]

Municipal Code Requirements


Stormwater Network Map

The stormwater network map indicates stormwater structures, conduit, pavement, and buildings within a quarter mile of an address or parcel.


Guidelines + Checklists

General Construction Plan Guidance
Stormwater Management
Stream Corridors
Stormwater Treatment Facilities

All new development and redevelopment projects are subject to municipal code requirements for stormwater treatment. The purpose of this requirement is to minimize and prevent the discharge of pollutants from developed land into the surface waters of the city through the treatment of stormwater runoff. Stormwater treatment facilities are constructed as part of a site development, building, or public improvement permit.

Erosion + Sediment Control

All construction activity resulting in land disturbance is required to comply with the city’s erosion and sediment control ordinance.

In addition, construction activity disturbing one or more acres must obtain permit coverage from the Kansas Department of Health & Environment. Permit coverage requires the development of a stormwater pollution prevention plan.

Floodplain Development

Any work within FEMA’s 100-year floodplain requires a floodplain development permit.  This is a supplemental permit that is processed as part of an existing construction permit.

Work within the FEMA Floodway also requires a no rise certificate unless FEMA has approved a conditional letter of map amendment.

Refer to the floodplain map to determine if your project is within the regulated floodplain.

Certifications + Sureties

Erosion + Sediment Control Surety

Applicants of standalone land disturbance or site development permits disturbing more than one acre must submit a refundable erosion and sediment control surety before a the City will issue the permit. Submit this surety in the form of a check or letter of credit.

Detention Plans
Stormwater Treatment Facilities

The owner or developer must provide an initial certification of completion and compliance for all constructed stormwater treatment facilities, and submit a recertification one year after construction is completed, and every two years thereafter. A professional engineer licensed in the state of Kansas must perform the certification unless the Director approves other qualified individuals to perform the certification.

Stormwater treatment facility performance sureties, in the form check or letter of credit, are required for applicable projects before a construction permit will be issued.

A maintenance surety and initial stormwater treatment facility certification are required before the City will release the performance surety or issue a certificate of occupancy. Maintenance sureties expire or are refunded once developers meet permit conditions.

Initial Certificate of Completion and Compliance

Recertification Forms

Legal Agreements

City staff will review all plans for approval along with required supporting reports, studies, or documents.

Revisions and changes to City agreements and easements may increase review time.

Submit draft legal agreements for review prior to obtaining owner signatures. You must submit original signed legal agreements before City staff will issue permits.

Agreements + Easements
Related Resources