Police Explorer Program
Overland Park Police Department Explorer Post No. 2986 is a group of approximately 25 high school and community college students, ranging from 14 to 20 years old. Police officers serve as Explorer advisers who oversee the program.
Explorer cadets participate in drills and sessions that
- Highlight law enforcement career awareness
- Develop career-building skills
- Teach life-skills
- Promote citizenship
- Facilitate character development
- Encourage leadership while having fun in a safe and supportive environment.
One of the benefits of being an Explorer is having the opportunity to get to know the officers. The experience can help determine a student’s future in the area of law enforcement. In June, the Post hosts an explorer week-long camp and Law Enforcement Challenge for other law enforcement posts to participate.
To be eligible, students must:
- Be 14 to 20 years old
- Have and maintain a 2.0 GPA or above
- Have completed eighth grade
- Have a clean criminal record with no felony arrests
- Complete and turn in an application
Police explorer candidates may not
- Have any status runaway or truancy offenses
- Have more than three moving violations in a two-year period of time
- Not have any misdemeanor arrests, including alcohol offenses, in the last year
- Not be on probation or diversion
- Not have any negative contacts with law enforcement
Sgt. Mike Melvin