Overland Park, KS 66210
Make plans to recycle just about anything on Saturday, April 21, Overland Park's 2018 Spring Recycling Extravaganza.
At the fall event, 105,000 pounds of electronics, 62,000 pounds of paper, two semi trailers of housewares, clothing, furniture and books; more than 400 pairs of glasses; 18 band instruments; more than 150 bicycles, 900 pairs of shoes; hundreds of pounds of fabric and more than 80 mattresses.
We still need volunteers for this event. Sign up online.
The extravaganza offers an opportunity to recycle more materials than ever before. You can bring:
- Confidential documents, which will be destroyed on site by ProShred Security, and you can watch. The suggested donation for this service is $5 for a standard file box and $10 for larger quantities.
- Usable building material will be collected by Habitat for Humanity. Donate your new and usable building materials, hardware, fixtures and appliances to ReStore. Your donations may be tax deductible, and will benefit Heartland Habitat for Humanity's building projects.
- Clothing, housewares, small appliances, toys and many other items will be accepted by Goodwill.
- Bicycles will be collected by RevolveKC. Give your unwanted bike new life and bring a smile to another by donating it. Revolve will repair and reuse whatever is feasible on your old bike and recycle the rest.
- Up to 10 fluorescent bulbs per vehicle will be collected by Overland Park's building maintenance division.
- Garden tools are being collected by Kansas City Community Gardens. Other acceptable items include shovels, spades, garden forks, cultivators, rakes (not leaf rakes), garden hand tools, wheel barrows, watering wands and water heads.
- Gently used shoes are being collected including running shoes, work boots, dress shoes, sandals and cowboy boots. Shoe Kansas City ask for all sizes of shoes for both children and adults.
- Pet supplies such as crates, kennels, dog beds, dog toys, cat and dog food, and scoopable cat litter supplies will be accepted by Unleashed Pet Rescue to help save the lives of homeless pets and pull them to safety.
- Donate musical instruments to Band of Angels, who will be on hand to accept your unwanted band or orchestra instruments, which will be provided to students unable to afford an instrument. Unfortunately, Band of Angels is unable to accept keyboards, drums, pianos and organs.
- Hardback and softcover books will be collected by BooksKC. It will use your books to provide individuals with disabilities jobs, job training and skill assessment.
- Used eyeglasses: prescription, readers, and sun glasses will be collected by the Overland Park Host Lions Club. After processing glasses are distributed by groups on medical mission trips, mainly in Latin America.
- Mattresses and box springs will be accepted for recycling by Avenue of Life for $15 each.
- Electronics, including tube televisions and computer monitors. These will be recycled for a charge:
- CRT monitors - $20
- CRT TVs - 26" and smaller - $30
- Rear projection TVs, console TVs and CRT TVs - 27" and larger - $50