Fire Permits + Incident Reports

A permit is required for open burns on public streets and public or private property, except for recreational fires. Open burn permits are generally not issued in densely-populated neighborhoods.

April Burn Ban

In April, the State of Kansas regulates burning in Johnson and Wyandotte Counties along with some Missouri counties. The ban aims to decrease smoke levels during the burning of grass and pasture lands in the western part of the state throughout April.

During April, Kansas regulations:

  • Prohibit the burning of non-pasture (un-grazed) grasslands.
  • Suspend existing burn permits, unless they meet KDHE requirements.
  • Allows cooking and recreational fires 3’x2’ or smaller.

The Overland Park Fire Department asks that residents voluntarily refrain from any burning on days when the weather poses danger of rapid fire spread.



Fire Incident or Investigation Reports

You may request a fire incident and/or an investigation report using the form linked below. Investigation report requests take a minimum of 30 days to fulfill.

Request a Report

Open Burn Permits

Apply for an open burn permit online using the ePLACE portal for permitting, inspections, plans, licenses, and code enforcement.

The fire department will review your permit request. First-time requests require an on-site visit from a fire inspector, who will call to schedule the inspection.

Find My Fire District

Apply for a Permit

Open Burning Guidelines

Recreational Fires

Fire Pits, Chimneas and Torches

No permit is required to use fire pits, chimineas, or decorative flame torches at single family dwellings or duplexes in Overland Park, but there are restrictions:

  • Only burn seasoned, dry firewood.
  • Limit fires to three feet in diameter and two feet in height.
  • Do not burn fire pits within 15 feet of a building.
  • Never burn when wind speeds exceed 15 mph or during a burn ban.
  • Keep a garden hose or fire extinguisher nearby and attend to the fire until it is completely extinguished.

Fire pits, campfires, bonfires, chimineas and decorative flame torches are prohibited at multi-family dwellings.

The fire department can order any recreational fire be put out if it creates or adds to a hazardous situation. If your fire is bothering a neighbor, OPFD will check to see if your smoke is offensive and can require you put out your fire.

Outdoor Fireplaces and Kitchens

Large outdoor fireplaces and ovens are allowed in Overland Park and do not require a fire department permit.