The Overland Park Farmers Market wants shoppers to have access to the freshest, in-season produce, meat, cheese and prepared foods.
Vendors are required to label all products with one of the following terms, meant to help you understand the differences in origins of products they bring to the Farmers' Market:
- USDA-Certified Organically Grown: Grown by a USDA-Certified Organic farm.
- Homegrown: Planted, raised and harvested by the farm vendor on their farm or property.
- Locally Purchased: Purchased by the farm vendor directly from a farmer who has planted, raised and harvested the produce within a 150-mile radius of the Kansas City metro area.
- Regionally Purchased: Purchased by the farm vendor directly from a farmer or auction house within a 250-mile radius of the Kansas City metro area.
- Warehouse: Purchased by the farm vendor from a wholesale supplier and/or the produce is outside a 250-mile radius of the Kansas City metro area.
Signs at each vendor's space will explain the type of produce, the price of the item, the origin of regional produce and the name of the warehouse where the item was purchased.
Food Safety is of the utmost importance. All vendors are required to abide by all city, county, state and federal public health regulations and adhere to safe food handling practices in regard to the preparing, handling, presenting, storing, sampling and selling of all food items for sale.