The Arboretum depends on volunteers to be the beautiful destination it has become in metropolitan Kansas City. There are a variety of options available to potential volunteers. Opportunities include:
- Gardening and planting, weeding and general maintenance in the gardens and wooded areas;
- Greeting guests in the Environmental Education Visitors Center;
- Restoring the prairie by clearing unwanted vegetation and reseeding with native grasses;
- Helping with seasonal activities and events, and
- Dabbling in special interests, such as photography, birds, geocaching, and more.
Volunteers do not need prior knowledge, only a desire to learn. Learn more about individual volunteers assignments available.
Want to make a bigger commitment? Consider joining the Friends of the Arboretum.
How to Volunteer
Short-Term Volunteer Opportunities
Please send an email to email@example.com if you are interested in a short-term or single-event volunteer opportunity.
Long-Term Volunteer Opportunities
Long-term volunteers should fill out the Volunteer Interest Form. Long-term volunteers must
- Be 18 or older,
- Have a positive attitude and adhere to policies and procedures,
- Appreciate nature and commit to conserving our natural world,
- Enjoy meeting new people and providing excellent customer service to guests,
- Complete a City of Overland Park application,
- Pass a background check,
- Commit to volunteering 40 hours annually, and
- Attend an orientation session after filling out the Volunteer Interest Form. 2018 sessions are on Jan. 24, April 4, Sept. 12, or by appointment. A volunteer coordinator will contact you to arrange an appointment.
Due to the physical and safety requirements of all volunteer programs, the Arboretum reserves the right to suggest other volunteer opportunities that may be a better fit.
At home: View your volunteer profile through Vic Net from home or at the Arboretum to:
- Update contact information
- Receive news and updates from the Volunteer Coordinators
- Sign up or edit your volunteer assignments
- Change password
While volunteering: Sign in at the Arboretum with your volunteer PIN through Vic Touch.
- Check in and out when volunteering
- Sign up for additional volunteer opportunities
- View your schedule
If you have questions about managing volunteer profiles, contact the volunteer coordinator at 913-685-3604.