All dogs and cats must be licensed by the time they reach 6 months old, or within 30 days of being brought into the city whether or not they go outside. Licensing requirements are set by city ordinance. This requirement protects the public by ensuring all dogs and cats are vaccinated for rabies, a requirement for licenses/tags. The license tag assists the city's Animal Control operation when returning stray animals to their owners.
The license year is Jan. 1 through Dec. 31.
To get a license, animals must have an unexpired rabies vaccination. Submitted rabies certificates are returned to the resident with the tag.
Renewal: Renewal statements are mailed Jan. 1. Residents have until June 30 to license each pet without incurring a penalty; for each pet licensed on or after July 1, residents will be charged a $20 penalty per animal in addition to the license fee and cannot be waived (OPMC 6.04). Residents are responsible for ensuring that vaccinations do not expire during the license year.
- $10 for spayed/neutered pets
- $20 for non-spayed/non-neutered pets
- $20 penalty fee if not renewed by June 30
Deceased Pet or Other: If your pet is deceased or you are no longer caring for the pet, send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org with your name and your pet's name so our records can be updated accordingly.
Online - Registration/Renewal
2018 Renewals: The current online pet renewal website is a temporary site which will be upgraded to make the process more streamlined. We anticipate the new site to be available by early 2018 which will be much easier. However, you may use this temporary site if you would like to renew your pet license.
Processing Time: Due to the large volume of pet renewals, pet tags will be mailed within 6-8 weeks of your application.
Register/Renew and pay online.
- Create a new account with a password that is at least eight (8) characters, one upper and one lower letter, and one number [example: MyPassword9]). Please use proper capitalization when creating your account.
- Wait for your new account to be merged with your previous account which may take 24-36 hours (M-F) to approve. (Due to the large volume, account approval may take up to 5 business days.)
- Ensure you have your proof of rabies vaccination document available in a digital file (pdf, doc, image, etc.) because you will upload this document prior to the payment page.
- Use the instructions below to renew your pet license. (You may pay for multiple pets during your renewal.)
- Create Online User Account
- Pet Registration User Guide
- Pet Renewal User Guide
- Other instructions or assistance
In Person - Registration
Print and fill out a license form.
Return the form between 8 a.m. and 5 p.m. to:
City Clerk's Office
8500 Santa Fe Drive
An after hours drop off box is located next to the front doors at City Hall.
Pets in poor health
If your pet is in poor health and cannot receive a rabies vaccination, a letter from your veterinarian explaining it is required before a tag may be issued.