All dogs and cats must be licensed by the time they reach six months old, or within 30 days of being brought into the city whether or not they go outside. Licensing requirements are set by city ordinance. This requirement protects the public by ensuring all dogs and cats are vaccinated for rabies, a requirement for licenses/tags. The license tag assists the city's Animal Control operation when returning stray animals to their owners.
The license year is Jan. 1 through Dec. 31.
To get a license, animals must have an unexpired rabies vaccination. Submitted rabies certificates are returned to the resident with the tag.
Renewal: Renewal statements are mailed Jan. 1. Residents have until June 30 to license each pet without incurring a penalty; for each pet licensed on or after July 1, residents will be charged a $20 penalty per animal in addition to the license fee and cannot be waived (OPMC 6.04). Residents are responsible for ensuring that vaccinations do not expire during the license year.
- $10 for spayed/neutered pets
- $20 for non-spayed/non-neutered pets
- $20 penalty fee if not renewed by June 30
Deceased Pet or Other
If your pet is deceased or you are no longer caring for the pet, send an email to email@example.com with your name and your pet's name so our records can be updated accordingly.
Pets in poor health
If your pet is in poor health and cannot receive a rabies vaccination, a letter from your veterinarian explaining it is required before a tag may be issued.
Use the ePlace website for all new pet registrations and renewals. This website is a one-stop shop where you can license your pets as well as apply for permits all from the same website.
- (An online account is required)
- Multiple Pets: Each pet must have it's own license, but you may combine licenses for one payment.
- Instructions: New Pet Registration
Do NOT create a new online account if you have had a PRIOR pet license.
Prior Online Account: Those who registered/renewed their pet last year (2018) from January - June online will need to click "Forgot Password" to reset their password for the new ePlace site before logging in.
Error Message: If you receive an error message "Invalid Token" after resetting password, simply close browser, relaunch and enter email and new password to proceed to renew license.
No online account or new email address? Call City Clerk's Office 913-895-6150 with your email before registering so you can easily renew online.
- An ePlace account is required. If you registered on Pets & More site, you will need to register your email address and create a strong password with ePlace to find your records.
- Multiple Pets: Each pet license must be renewed separately. You may combine fees into one payment.
- Instructions: Pet Renewal on ePlace
- If you DID have an online account in the Pets & More site, you will need to register your email and create a strong password on the ePlace website.
- If you did not have a 2017 license, you will need to create an online ePlace account. Please use proper capitalization on name and street address when creating your account.
- Ensure you have your proof of rabies vaccination document available in a digital format (pdf, doc, image, etc.) because you will upload this document prior to the payment page. (A picture of the rabies tag will not be accepted as proof.)
- Payment is required at time of registration. (You may pay for multiple pets during your renewal.)
- Use the instructions below to renew your pet license.
Renewal Processing Time: Due to the large volume of pet renewals at the first of the year, pet tags will be mailed within 4-6 weeks of your application.
Online Instruction Guides
- Create an online ePLACE Account
- If you did NOT have a 2018 license, you will need to create an online account on ePlace.
- If you DID have an online account in Pets & More site, you will need to register your email and create a strong password on the ePlace website.
- Passwords must be a minimum of eight (8) characters, one upper and one lower letter, and one number [example: MyPassword9]).
- New Pet Registration
- Pet Renewal on ePlace
In Person - Registration
Print and fill out a license form.
Return the form between 8 a.m. and 5 p.m. to:
City Clerk's Office
8500 Santa Fe Drive
An after hours drop off box is located next to the front doors at City Hall.