Financial Assistance

In order to keep our neighborhoods looking nice, residents are required to comply with property maintenance codes/ordinances. Due to physical or financial difficulties, some residents have problems with adequate property maintenance. Financial assistance is available.

Consumer Credit Counseling

Consumer credit counselors provide free financial crisis services, including debt management, budgeting, consumer financing education and intelligent use of credit. 816-753-0535.


Grants are not required to be paid back.

Community Development Block Grants
Each year the CDBG program funds a variety of agencies to provide services for income eligible individuals and families. Please contact Judy Paulette at 913-895-6339 for more information.


Loans require the amount of the loan plus interest be paid back within a set amount of time.

AARP Reverse Mortgage

Available to men/women over 62 whose homes are paid-in-full. The resident can take a loan against the house, and When they can no longer stay in the home, the bank will sell the house and take the amount of the loan out of the sale price. 202-434-6044.

Johnson County Emergency Assistance

Johnson County offers one-time-only emergency assistance for delinquent rent/mortgage payments for income eligible persons or shop at the food pantry. Call 913-715-6600 for more information.

Johnson County Housing Services

Johnson County offers three programs for income eligible homeowners:

  • HOME Program: Provides a combination loans/grant for major home repair. 913-715-6600.
  • Minor Home Repair Program: Offers minor home repair services to homeowners and accessibility improvements for persons with disabilities. 913-715-6600.
  • Weatherization Program: Offers weatherization improvements for home owners. 913-715-6600.

Johnson County Utility Assistance Program

The Homeownership Preservation Foundation offers assistance to those who are past due on a bill or have received a disconnect notice. Call 913-715-6653 for help if you live in the Shawnee Mission School District or 913-897-3991 if you live in the Blue Valley School District.

Foreclosure Help

The U.S. Department of the Treasury and the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development provide free counseling to people facing foreclosure. Call 1-888-995-HOPE (4673) or visit for more information.