The purpose of street preservation with chip seal is to preserve streets in Overland Park indefinitely through proper maintenance and care saving you taxpayer money.
The chosen method to use in preserving neighborhood streets is chip seal. It extends the life of the street, provides a good driving surface, is relatively quick to apply, thereby, decreasing the inconvenience to you, and it lasts longer than other methods that are not nearly as effective and are more expensive.
- For every $1 spent on the chip seal application, taxpayers would have to pay $6-$10 for asphalt overlay. Or to say it differently, doing an asphalt overlay application to the streets would cost up to 10 times more than the chip seal method.
- A lane mile of chip seal application costs $17,000 compared to $176,000 per lane mile for asphalt overlay. An asphalt overlay lasts about 10 years while the chip seal application lasts approximately seven years before needing to be re-applied.
- A $250,000 home pays $1 per month in taxes for all street maintenance.
- The cost to reconstruct a street lane mile is about $1.5 million. The Overland Park plan is to keep streets well maintained and preserved with the best methods available so they will not need to be reconstructed.
- We are keeping streets in good condition and from deteriorating by sealing cracks in the pavement. Sealing prevents water intrusion (water seeping under the pavement) and provides a moisture barrier; moisture that causes damage and deterioration to the foundation. It's easier, better and more cost effective to "keep good streets good."
- The chip seal application will last an average of seven years before it needs to be treated.
- By placing a chip seal sooner than an asphalt overlay would be placed, the traveling public benefits from roads maintained in better condition.
- Chip seal provides a skid resistant surface that may be used right after application.
- It's important to drive slowly and attempt to avoid braking and turning wheels sharply for parking within the first few hours after application.
- The only time you are not able to walk or drive slowly over the surface is during the application of oil.
- Residents in areas receiving chip seal will receive a postcard that their street is going to be treated. A second postcard will be sent a week or two prior to the work as a reminder and to remind everyone not to park vehicles on the street the day of scheduled work. Finally, a door hanger will be left at homes as a final reminder.