Flooding Information

stream flooding
Flood information


Seven percent, or about 3,400 acres, of the total land area in Overland Park is in a floodplain as mapped by the Federal Emergency Management Agency.

Although much of this land includes parks, streamway corridors or open space areas, some older neighborhoods are in a floodplain. As many as 500 buildings in an Overland Park are in a floodplain.

Overland Park has interactive flood maps to help you determine if your home or business is in a flood zone. You can also use the flood map information service by calling 913-895-6223 or e-mailing eod@opkansas.org.

Prospective buyers are advised to check the status of a property. Keep in mind that flood maps only cover major creeks and streams. Flood risk areas along smaller streams and drainages are not mapped. You can also monitor real-time rain and stream gauge data from Overland Park's Stormwatch flood warning system.

Flood insurance

Federal law requires that flood insurance be purchased as part of any federally backed loan for a building in the floodplain. Overland Park enforces various floodplain regulations that allow residents to purchase flood insurance through the National Flood Insurance Program (NFIP). This insurance is purchased through your local insurance agent, rates are set by the NFIP and are based on your mapped flood zone. To find out what flood zone your home or business is in, you can use the city's interactive flood mapping system or contact the Engineer of the Day at 913-895-6223 or eod@opkansas.org.

Because Overland Park participates in FEMA's Community Rating System (CRS) program, residents receive a discounted rate. Keep in mind that many homes that flood are not in a mapped flood zone. You can, however, buy flood insurance no matter what flood zone you live in. Congress made changes to the NFIP in 2012 that impacts rates for some homes in Overland Park built before 1977. These changes were designed to make the program more sustainable into the future.