Temporary Food Service Permit

All temporary food service operations in Overland Park that do not serve prepackaged foods, such as chips and candy bars, from an approved source need a temporary food service permit that is only valid for the duration of the special event. Establishments with a current year-round food service permit may hold outdoor events at their licensed establishments without obtaining a temporary food service permit.

What may I serve with my temporary food service permit?

In order to minimize risk, most temporary food service operations are restricted to items requiring minimal on-site preparation such as hot dogs, bratwurst and similarly cased products.

If you wish to serve items requiring more on-site preparation, you will need to call 913-895-6270 and discuss your proposed menu with a code compliance officer. Menus of operators with a regular year-round food service permit may be more extensive, if the items can be prepared and served safely.

Online Permit Application

The application is available online through ePlace two weeks prior to an event.

  1. Create an online ePlace account (see instructions; see confirmation email).
  2. Log in to your account
  3. Click "Apply" > Event: Temporary Food Vendor Permit
  4. Applicant (optional):  You may add additional contacts to your permit if you desire by clicking on the +.
  5. Attachment: Click + to upload your Health License if you haven't already submitted per year.
  6. Next
  7. Complete all fields in red.
  8. EventID = This is the Special Event Permit number (SEP) the event coordinator will provide to you.
  9. Event Name = General name of the event (i.e., Fall Festival, Farmers' Market, etc.)
  10. Click Submit when finished.

Payment Online

After your application has been approved by the code compliance officer, a $10 permit fee will be generated and emailed to the applicant.  Payment can be submitted online through ePlace. 

  1. Log in to your ePlace account.
  2. Click "My Work" > My Invoices.
  3. Select checkbox next to invoice due to add to your cart.
  4. Check Out
  5. Enter your credit card information.
  6. A receipt will be emailed to you after payment is made

Permit Issuance

After your application has been received, your permit status will remain "In Review" until a Food Inspector inspects your booth prior to the event. After passing the inspection, your permit status will be changed to ISSUED and you will be presented with your Temporary Food Vendor permit. The permit is valid for the duration of the special event.

Festival Rules & Restrictions

July 4th & Fall Festival

The City of Overland Park, its officials, employees and agents, will not be liable for injury to the applicant’s business or any loss of income or for damage to, or loss of, the goods, wares, merchandise or other property of the applicant.

The City of Overland Park has the final authority to decide whether or not any applicant’s participation in the event fosters the purposes for which the event is operated and the City of Overland Park has the final authority to decide the nature, type and distribution of the goods and services to be provided at the event.

The City of Overland Park requires a permit for outdoor food sales and a valid Overland Park Food Truck license for all trucks. Representatives of health and fire department will inspect the day of the event for all applicable codes.

Failure to include payment or payment stoppage is grounds for a space reservation to be revoked.

Motor vehicles are not permitted on Park property, unless authorized in writing by the Director of Parks & Forestry.

All sales taxes are the responsibility of the vendor.

Do not hang anything from the park trees or damage the park is any manner.


Vendors are only renting a space, no tents or other items included in fee. Electrical hook up is an extra expense.

No refunds will be made for cancellations thirty (30) days prior to the event date.

Past participation in the event does not guarantee placement at a specific location.

Vendors may use generators provided the unit does not exceed published decibel limits.

Layout and presentation of the event is based on the needs of the event as determined by the event manager.

A minimum of ten (10) feet is required between food vendors.