Overland Park requires permits for both trash haulers and hauler vehicles to collect solid waste and recyclables.
Permits are good for a calendar year and must be renewed to continue operation in the City.
Haulers observed operating without permits will receive a notice to appear in Municipal Court.
Please contact the Community Services division at 913-895-6270 with any questions regarding the permitting process.
New Haulers and Renewal Permits
New haulers and those who want to renew in 2017 must complete the following steps.
- Register online with ePLACE, the City's permitting website.
- Follow these instructions for help registering.
- Once registered, login to ePLACE and apply for a Trash Hauler permit. After the application is reviewed, applicants will receive an email requesting information about hauler vehicles. Reply to this email with the information requested no later than November 1. A list of hauler vehicle information is require before applicants can pay for permits.
- Applicants must submit a copy of their company's customer notification plan. See examples of customer notification plans.
- Submit proof of insurance for both of the following:
- Commercial general liability insurance on an occurrence basis in amounts no less than $500,000 bodily injury and property damage per occurrence, including personal and advertising injury; $1,000,000 general aggregate. Coverage shall include independent contractors and subcontractors.
Automobile liability insurance in an amount no less than $500,000 bodily injury and property damage combined single limit, including all owned (if any), hired and non-owned autos.
Please be sure the certificate holder for both policies states:
City of Overland Park
8500 Santa Fe Drive
Overland Park, KS 66212
- When the items listed above are provided, applicants will be able to go visit the ePLACE website to pay for hauler and vehicle permits. Fees are as follows:
- Hauler (company) permit - $25
- Each solid waste or recycling vehicle - $75
- Each contractor yard waste vehicle or one trailer - $75
- Each additional contractor yard waste trailer - $25
Once payment is submitted, haulers will receive their hauler permits via email. Permits can also be found on the ePLACE website.
Hauler vehicles are required to be inspected after permits have been processed. Inspectors will provide a decal to affix to the truck or trailer after the vehicle is inspected and approved.
Inspections take place during the month of November. Schedule inspections by calling 913-895-6270 or via the ePLACE website.
Adding Additional Vehicles
Applicants will need to follow the step five above to pay for additional vehicles and schedule inspections for any additional vehicles to be permitted.