Occupational Licenses

The City Clerk's Office is responsible for most occupational licenses required in Overland Park.

Applications and fees may be dropped off or mailed to the City Clerk's Office at City Hall, 8500 Santa Fe Drive, Overland Park, Kan. 66212.

Call 913-895-6150 or contact cityclerk@opkansas.org for more information.

Massage Establishment License

A license is required by any person, firm, partnership, association or corporation who wishes to operate a massage establishment in the City of Overland Park.

An application and a $300 annual fee is required.

Massage Therapist License

Massage therapists must file a separate application with the City Clerk.

Licenses fees for massage therapists are $75 for new applications, $50 for renewals, and $15 for additional applications. An application/identification card is required for each work location. Fingerprints for new applicants must be obtained from the Overland Park Justice Center, 12400 Foster. After a license has expired, a "new" application under the current education and testing standards will be required. Twelve (12) hours of continuing education is required for all license renewals. 

To be licensed in Overland Park, massage therapists must meet the following educational requirements:

  • National Certification Examination for Therapeutic Massage and Bodywork (NCBTMB), 1992 or later; or Massage and Bodywork Licensing Examination (MBLEx), 2007 or later.
  • Certified transcript consisting of not less than 500 hours, in theory, method or practice of massage. The required curriculum must include the subjects of anatomy, physiology, kinesiology, pathology, first aid and hygiene and practical instruction in massage technique.
  • American Red Cross First Aid
  • American Heart Association CPR


Pawnbroker's License

A license is required for anyone who:

  • Loans money on deposit, pledge of personal property or other valuable thing other than intangible personal property; or
  • Deals in the purchase of personal property on the condition of selling the same back again at the stipulated price.

This does not include any person operating under the supervision of the State Banking Commissioner, Credit Union Administrator, or the Consumer Credit Commissioner of the State of Kansas.

An application and a $25 annual fee is required.

Precious Metal Dealer's License

A Precious Metal Dealer's license is required for anyone who engages in the business of purchasing precious metal for the purpose of reselling such metal in any form to include gold, silver or platinum group metals or any used personal property containing such metals.

An application and a $25 annual fee is required.