A permit is required for anyone who plans to block off any part of the street as part of a neighborhood block party.
Applications are due at least seven days prior to the day of the proposed party. Within the online application, the applicant must agree to abide by these guidelines:
- Applicants will notify the Police, 913-895-6300, when the street is closed and reopened.
- No more than one city block may be temporarily closed.
- There must be immediate access for all emergency vehicles as well as access for drivers of vehicles having business or whose residences are within the closed area.
- Barricades and signs must be placed at each end of the block, warning vehicles of the street closure.
- Applicants will clean up the street and remove debris left as a result of the party.
- Neighbors in contiguous blocks have the right to access and quiet enjoyment of their property. The city will investigate any reports received as to excessive noise, disruptive or offensive behavior, failure to allow a resident or person having business on a closed street from entering, etc.
Once the application is submitted, Police will decide whether you can block off the street. If approved, you will receive your permit by email. The street may be blocked, on the designated/permitted day, during daylight hours, generally between 9 a.m. and 7 p.m. (9 a.m. to 8 p.m., the last Sunday in April through the last Sunday in October.)