Special Use Permits

Some uses, such as hotels, hospitals, airports or nursing homes, only are allowed by special use permit. This allows the proposal to be reviewed on a case-by-case basis to ensure it is compatible with surrounding uses.

Special use permit requests for new buildings, such as hospitals, hotels, cell towers, etc., require the submittal of site plans, civil plans and architecture, just as a rezoning request to a planned zoning district.

Other requests, such as drinking establishments and other uses within an existing building, require only a legal description.

All special use permit applications require notice to surrounding property owners and a public hearing before the Planning Commission and the City Council. Recommendations from the Planning Commission will be forwarded to the City Council for final action.

Submittal of a protest petition may impact the voting requirements of the Council; however, all decisions by the Council are final unless appealed to District Court.