Prescription Drug Collection Program

The Prescription Drug Collection Program's goal is preventing and reducing illicit drug abuse as well as the abuse of over-the- counter and prescription medication.

The Overland Park Police Department has two MedReturn Drug Collection Units. One is located at the Sanders Justice Center, 12400 Foster, just beyond the Police Lobby, and the other is located at the Myron E. Scafe Justice Center, 8500 Antioch, in the upper lobby.

Both are available between 9 a.m. and 4 p.m., weekday. Drop-off may be made anonymously.

Med Return BoxAccepted Items:

  • Prescriptions
  • Prescription Patches
  • Prescription Medications
  • Prescription Ointments
  • Over-the-counter medications
  • Vitamins
  • Samples
  • Medications for Pets

Not Accepted:

  • Hydrogen Peroxide
  • Inhalers
  • Aerosol Cans
  • Ointments, lotions or liquids
  • Medication from businesses or clinics
  • Needles (sharps)
  • Thermometers

What do I do with items that aren’t accepted by the drug collection program?

Thermometers – Mercury filled:

For safe disposal of mercury thermometers contact Johnson County Wastewater at 913-715-6900

Thermometers – Alcohol filled:

Can be disposed of at any glass recycling center or neighborhood recycling program. In Overland Park, that’s the Overland Park Recycling Center at 11921 Hardy, Overland Park, KS. If you have questions, call Jim Twigg, Environmental Programs Coordinator at 913-895-6273.

Aerosol cans/Inhalers:

For safe disposal of empty aerosol cans and inhalers, drop them off at the Overland Park Recycling Center, 11921 Hardy St., Overland Park, KS. If your medical aerosol cans or inhalers still contain product, please contact your pharmacist for disposal information.

Hydrogen Peroxide:

Household strength Hydrogen Peroxide can be poured down a drain or flushed down the toilet. Pour slowly

& carefully to avoid damaging your eyes or ruining your clothes.

Empty plastic & cardboard containers:

Empty containers may be disposed into your regular garbage collection or taken to the Overland Park Recycling Center, 11921 Hardy St., Overland Park, KS.

To protect your privacy, you should peel off the prescription label or use a permanent marker to cover your personal information.

Ointments, Lotions or Liquids:

Medicinal ointments, lotions or liquids can be sealed in a plastic bag and placed in our prescription drop- box. Non-medicinal ointments, lotions or liquids should be disposed of in your regular garbage collection.

Needles and syringes:

Used needles, injectors, EpiPens, lancets or other objects capable of puncturing skin may be infectious, capable of transmitting disease. Used sharps should never be placed loosely in your trash or flushed down the toilet. This increases the risk of accidental exposure for sanitation and sewage treatment workers, janitors, and your family. The Johnson County Health Department recommends disposal of sharps (needles) in a puncture-proof or puncture-resistant container with a lid. An old paint can works well. After they are sealed in this type of container, they can be disposed of in your regular trash.

In addition, there are many commercially available mail-in programs offered including:

Some of these mail-back sharps disposal systems may also be available at your local pharmacy or through your health care provider.  Another option is to contract with a medical waste disposal company for sharps container disposal. Medical waste disposal companies can be found in a telephone directory generally under the listing for “Waste Disposal – Medical.”