At arraignment, you are given an opportunity to appear in court and enter a plea.

You may enter a plea of:

  • Guilty: You admit to committing the act charged, that the act is unlawful, and that you have no defense for the act. In most minor traffic cases, a guilty plea and fine will be accepted online or through the mail.
  • Not guilty: You deny guilt, and the city must prove, in trial, the charges are true beyond a reasonable doubt. Everyone is presumed innocent until proven guilty.
  • No contest: You do not wish to contest the city's charge. Upon a plea of no contest, the judge will enter a finding of guilty and order a fine, jail time or other sentence. A plea of no contest is not an admission of fault and cannot be used against you in a civil suit for damages.

In all Municipal Court cases, you have a right to an attorney. When charged with an offense that may result in jail time, you must decide whether to proceed with or without an attorney. If you want an attorney but cannot afford one, the judge will appoint an attorney after finding that you do not have the financial means to hire one.