Careless disposal of cigarettes is a leading cause of fires and violates City Ordinance 12.04.104.
Preventing a Fire
If you smoke:
- Smoke outside.
- Use deep, wide ashtrays on a sturdy table.
- Before you throw out butts and ashes, make sure they are out, and dousing in water or sand is the best way to do that.
- Check under furniture cushions and in other places people smoke for cigarettes butts that may have fallen out of sight.
- Never smoke in a home where oxygen is being used.
- To prevent a deadly cigarette fire, you have to be alert. You won't be if you are sleepy, have been drinking, or have taken medicine or other drugs.
- Keep matches and lighters up high, out of children's sight and reach.
Overland Park Municipal Code addresses littering from motor vehicle, including the disposal of smoking materials.
Do not throw or drop litter onto any highway, road or street. Drivers may be cited for any litter left behind from a vehicle unless another person in the vehicle admits or is identified as having committed the act.