The next city election will be held in 2019.
Term of Office
Filing for office
All candidates for Overland Park City Council must complete the required filing forms at Johnson County Election Office, 2101 East Kansas City Road, Olathe, KS 66061.
Forms that must be completed and submitted include:
- Candidate's Declaration of Intention
- Statement of Substantial Interests for Local Office - to be completed and returned no later than 10 days after filing deadline.
Qualifications to File for Office:
- You must be a citizen of the United States.
- You must be a resident of Overland Park at the time of filing for election.
- You must be registered to vote and be a resident in the ward for which you are filing at the time of filing for election.
- If elected, you must continue to reside in the ward thereafter for the duration of the term unless removal from the ward is the result of reapportionment.
First class cities collect a nonrefundable $20 filing fee and a nonrefundable $50 fee for support of the State Governmental Ethics Commission, in two separate checks.
- $20 - Payable to the Johnson County Election Commissioner; and
- $50 - Payable to the City, which will be forwarded to the State Treasurer's Office.
Candidates may also file by petition per K.S.A. 25-2110a, Subsection C: Petition signed by 100 qualified electors of the ward or by a number of such qualified electors of the ward equal to not less than 1 percent of the ballots cast in the ward at the last General City Election, whichever is less.
City candidates filing by petition must also pay the $50 fee for support of the Kansas State Governmental Ethics Commission.