Police Toll Free
- There is no city residency requirement.
- Exception: Police officers must live within 45 minutes of the city.
- The minimum age to work at the city is 18 if the position involves use of hazardous equipment or chemicals.
- There are a limited number of summer positions at the city's pools that have a minimum age requirement of 14.
- The city requires a pre-employment drug test and criminal background/records check for all jobs. A pre-employment physical is required for most jobs.
- All employment decisions are made solely on the basis of merit.
- Relatives in the "immediate family" of current city employees may work in temporary positions only.
- "Immediate family" includes: Spouse; children; parents; brothers; sisters; grandparents; grandchildren; in-laws (mothers, fathers, brothers, sisters, daughters, sons); first generation aunts, uncles, nieces, nephews or cousins; relatives by adoption; stepchildren and stepparents. Relatives by adoption, legal wards and guardians, and stepchildren and stepparents are included in this definition.
- Immediate family members of employees and/or members of City Boards or Commissions may be eligible for temporary employment.
- Immediate family members of the Governing Body are not eligible for temporary employment.
- Marriage: If two employees become related to each other within the definition herein contained, they may continue to be employed by the City provided that neither employee works under the direct or indirect supervision of the other employee and that the two affected employees do not work under the direct supervision of the same immediate supervisor.
Applicants can apply for multiple jobs with the same online application. Resumes and cover letters (addressed to "Dear Hiring Manager" or "To Whom It May Concern") can and should be attached to the online application.
If you do not have access to a computer, a city-provided computer will be provided in order for you to apply for a vacant position. Visit Human Resources Department at City Hall, 8500 Santa Fe Drive, between 1 p.m. and 5 p.m.
- Interviews are not automatic. If you are selected for an interview, you will be contacted by phone to schedule an interview. This time may vary depending on departmental needs and priorities but is usually within three weeks after the deadline date.
- The next steps in the employment process will be explained during the interview.
- Once the job is filled, applicants are notified by mail.
- Please wait at least four weeks before calling to check on your status. Contact the Human Resources office at 913-895-6115 or firstname.lastname@example.org.