Help the Arboretum grow and have fun.
We depend on our volunteers to make the Overland Park Arboretum & Botanical Gardens the beautiful destination it has become in metropolitan Kansas City.
- Gardening and planting, weeding and general maintenance in the gardens and wooded areas;
- Greeting guests in the Visitors Center;
- Growing and planting flowers in the greenhouse;
- Restoring the prairie by clearing unwanted vegetation and reseeding with native grasses;
- Helping with seasonal activities and events, including plant sales, the Holiday Luminary Walk and more, and
- Dabbling in special interests, such as photography, birds and more.
Volunteers do not need prior knowledge, only a desire to learn
Volunteer training sessions are held often.
Adopt A Garden
Looking for a company team building activity? Then join our "Adopt a Garden" program. Our program brings together employees who want to volunteer a few hours of their time during business hours, mid-March to October, to help maintain specific gardens at the Arboretum. Tasks may include bed preparation, planting of annual flowers or bulbs, mulching, weeding and deadheading as plants finish blooming under the guidance of our experienced horticulturist.
Not only does the free program offer a unique team building experience where employees can learn, bond and grow together, but it offers them the chance to create something meaningful, beautiful and enduring for the community.
If you are interested in volunteering, contact our volunteer coordinator at 913-685-3604.
Want to make a bigger commitment? Consider joining the Friends of the Arboretum.