The Arboretum depends on volunteers to be the beautiful destination it has become in metropolitan Kansas City. There are a variety of options available to potential volunteers. Opportunities include:
- Gardening and planting, weeding and general maintenance in the gardens and wooded areas;
- Greeting guests in the Environmental Education Visitors Center;
- Growing and planting flowers in the greenhouse;
- Restoring the prairie by clearing unwanted vegetation and reseeding with native grasses;
- Helping with seasonal activities and events, including plant sales, the Holiday Luminary Walk and more, and
- Dabbling in special interests, such as photography, birds and more.
Volunteers do not need prior knowledge, only a desire to learn. Learn more about individual volunteers assignments available.
Want to make a bigger commitment? Consider joining the Friends of the Arboretum.
How to Volunteer
All volunteers will need to attend an orientation session, which are held often. Upcoming dates include:
- New Volunteer Orientation April 12, 2017 at 10:00 am - 12:00 pm
- New Volunteer Orientation September 13, 2017 at 10:00 am - 12:00 pm
Short-Term Volunteering Opportunities
Please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org if you are:
- Under 18 years old
- Interested in earning high school/college class credit
- Interested in volunteering for a single event
- Interested in volunteering with a group
Long-Term Volunteering Opportunities
Please fill out the Volunteer Interest Form if you are:
- 18 or older
- Interested in volunteering regularly
At home: View your volunteer profile through Vic Net from home or at the Arboretum to:
- Update contact information
- Receive news and updates from the Volunteer Coordinators
- Sign up or edit your volunteer assignments
- Change password
While volunteering: Sign in at the Arboretum with your volunteer PIN through Vic Touch.
- Check in and out when volunteering
- Sign up for additional volunteer opportunities
- Calculate travel time
If you have questions about managing volunteer profiles, contact the volunteer coordinator at 913-685-3604.