Each year the city provides a bulky item pickup to half of Overland Park using Antioch as the dividing line. This year it will serve households located west of Antioch. Those east of Antioch received the service last year. The large item program only serves single through four-plex households with individual trash service. Communities with dumpster-style trash service are not included in the program.
This year's collection is divided into four areas. The schedule is
- Sept. 24, 135th Street south to city limits.
- Oct. 1, 99th Street/Terrace, to 119th Street
- Oct. 15, 75th Street to 99th Street/Terrace
- Oct. 22, 119th Street to 135th Street
Please have your bulky trash items at the curb no later than 7:00 a.m. the day of, but no sooner than 5:00 p.m. the day before your scheduled pickup date.
Up to five of the following types of items will be accepted per household:
- White goods such as appliances like refrigerators, freezers, washing machines and clothes dryers. Only one refrigerator per household will be accepted.
- Push lawnmowers, which must be empty of any fuel or oil
- Carpeting, up to 4 foot rolls that are securely tied, less than 50 pounds in weight. Two rolls count as one.
Residents are encouraged to consider the environment before throwing away any items. Many will recyclable goods will be accepted at the city's Recycling Extravaganza on October 8th.
The following will not be accepted:
- Hazardous waste including flammable, explosive/reactive, corrosive/caustic, toxic/poisonous, radioactive or biologically active.
- Automotive battery, engine oil or fuel tank
- Compressed gas cylinders
- Glass panels where any dimension exceeds four feet
- Wood fencing and decking materials
- Yard waste
- Latex or oil-based paint
- Fertilizer, pesticide, solvent
- Liquid waste
- Solid waste and recycling material that are collected as part of regular curbside service
- Any waste or material that is prohibited from being received, managed or disposed of at a landfill
On your scheduled bulky item collection day, residents with fencing, decking, construction and demolition waste, or rigid items exceeding four feet in length may bring the items to the Dennis Garrett Public Works facility, 11300 W. 91st St. Proof of residency on that day's collection area will be required.
Only the following items will be accepted at the drop-off site:
- Wood fencing
- Concrete building material, rocks and soil
- Construction or demolition materials including drywall, lumber and roofing material
- Rigid items exceeding four foot in length