A permit is required prior to installation when a tent or air supported structure more than 900 square feet in area or larger or within a minimum of 12' of a structure. There is no fee for the permit.
- Site plan showing location of the tent and all adjacent buildings.
- A tent plan showing all exits, seating, mechanical and electrical equipment.
- The flame spread affidavit of the tent material for each tent being used.
- A copy of the approved special event permit.
A fire inspector will call to confirm the date and time of the tent inspection and will leave the permit with applicant after completion of inspection.
Food or Alcohol
The tent will be inspected for compliance with the latest adopted edition of the International Fire Prevention Code, including the following four items.
Please call the Fire Department at 913-888-6066 the day the tent is set up (including all of the tent contents) to notify the Inspector you are ready for inspection.
- Gasoline, gas, charcoal, candles or other cooking devices or any other unapproved open flame shall not be permitted inside or located within 20 feet of the tent.
- At least one portable fire extinguisher with a minimum 4-A rating, or two portable fire extinguishers with a minimum 2-A rating each, shall be provided in each tent.
- All tents shall be constructed of flame-resistant materials. An affidavit shall be submitted certifying that the flame-resistant process and materials used comply with the latest adopted edition of the International Fire Prevention Code and stating the date of treatment and the warranted period of effectiveness of the process. The flame-resistant process shall be in conformance with NFPA 701.
- Electrical wiring shall be in conformance with the applicable referenced section of NFPA 70.
|Use Group||Distance||From Use Group|
Note: Inspectors will need to know what time the tent and contents will be set up and ready for inspection.