All septic systems must be inspected by the city. If they pass, a permit will be issued.
A septic system is designed for residential sewage disposal when sewers are not available. It normally consists of a two-compartment tank used for settling the solids and a system of trenches that uses gravity or a pump system to distribute the remaining fluids to be neutralized of contaminates by yard soil.
The city allows three types of systems to be installed:
- Simplest and least costly.
- Requires excellent soils.
- Costs anywhere from $5,000 to $8,000.
- Repairs range from $3,000 to $4,000.
- Low Pressure:
- Involves a pump tank and can allow a lateral field to be put uphill to get the system into moderate soils.
- Price ranges from $7,000 to $10,000.
- Repairs range from $3,000 to $7,000.
- Mound. This is a very complicated system where sand is mounded in the yard for drainage and covered with sod. It involves a pump tank and specialized design. Price range from $13,000 to $25,000. Repairs are expensive.
Call 913-895-6205 for the permit application and any additional requirements.