A license is required by any person, firm, partnership, association or corporation who wishes to operate a massage establishment in the City of Overland Park.
The application and a $300 annual fee can be dropped off at the City Clerk's Office or mailed to: City Clerks Office, City Hall, 8500 Santa Fe Drive, Overland Park, KS, 66212.
Therapists must file a separate application with the City Clerk, pay a fee* and meet specific educational requirements:
- National Certification Examination for Therapeutic Massage and Bodywork (NCBTMB), 1992 or later; or Massage and Bodywork Licensing Examination (MBLEx), 2007 or later.
- Certified transcript consisting of not less than 500 hours, in theory, method or practice of massage. The required curriculum must include the subjects of anatomy, physiology, kinesiology, pathology, first aid and hygiene and practical instruction in massage technique.
- American Red Cross First Aid
- American Heart Association CPR
* Licensing fees: $75 for new applications, $50 for renewals, $15 for additional applications. An application/identification card is required for each work location. After a license has expired, a "new" application under the current education and testing standards will be required. Twelve (12) hours of continuing education is required for all license renewals.