They are required when:
- A new fence is being constructed
- An existing fence is being extended
- An existing fence is being replaced with a new fence of a different size, at a different location or of a different design (e.g. a chain link fence being replaced by a wood privacy fence)
- More than 50 percent of the linear length of an existing fence is being replaced
A fence permit is not required if less than 50 percent of the length of an existing fence is being replaced and no changes are made to the fence size or materials.
- If less than 50 percent of an existing fence is being replaced, the replacement fence must be in compliance with location and design requirements or be identical to the existing fence (i.e., the same location, the same size and design and constructed of the same materials).
A fence cannot be replaced if it is located near a street intersection and impedes visibility in the sight distance triangle.
For more information, you can call 913-895-6225.