Special events are temporary, short-term activities that are not normally permitted, including promotional banners and outdoor events such as tent sales, fundraisers and concerts.
Three types of special events are allowed:
- Banner permit - Single banner on a building.
- Detached promotions permit - Multiple banners, signs or balloons placed on the property.
- Large promotional permit - events include, but are not limited to, temporary structures, inflatable objects, animated devices, projected images, fundraisers and concerts.
There are a few special considerations which are explained in detail in the Special Event brochure.
- Religious Institutions
- Private and Public Schools, Non-Profit and Neighborhood Organizations
- Transient Merchants
The applicant for a special event permit must be a business or organization that owns or leases space at the location where the event is to be held. The event must be related to the applicant's organization or be a fundraising activity for charity.
- A special event permit cannot be used to allow a business to operate at a location where it does not have tenant space or a permanent facility.
Staff can approve many events; however, some events require approval of the City Council.
- Events with tents, food or alcohol require additional permits from the city.
- Parades, carnivals, Christmas tree sales, run/walks and block parties require separate permits.
Please allow three weeks for your permit to be processed. For individual permit requirements, based on your event, call 913-895-6217.