Cooking is the top cause of home fires and home fire injuries. Unattended cooking causes most fires in the kitchen. To avoid a kitchen fire:
- Be alert. Don't use the stove if you're tired or have been drinking.
- Stay in the kitchen while food cooks.
- Use a timer to remind yourself that you are cooking.
- Keep flammable materials like oven mitts, wood utensils and food packaging away from the stove top.
- Use a firestop device under your range hood or microwave to release a non-toxic fire suppressing powder if a fire does start.
If you have a kitchen fire:
- Just get out! Close the door behind you to help contain the fire.
- Call 9-1-1.
- If you try to fight the fire, be sure others are getting out and you have a clear way out.
- Keep a lid nearby when you're cooking to smother small grease fires. Slide the lid over the pan and turn off the stove-top.
- If a fire starts in the oven, turn off the heat and keep the door closed.
Only use grills outdoors. Position them well away from siding, deck railings and out from under eaves and branches. Periodically remove grease from the tray below the grill.
City code prohibits those living in apartments and condominium communities from using gas or charcoal grills within 10 feet of the building or any other combustible construction, unless that building has an automated sprinkler system.