Fires within our homes are often the most tragic. Most fires start during sleeping hours, in bedrooms. Fortunately, home fires are the most preventable.
- Walk through your home with your whole family, and draw a map of the building.
- Determine two safe routes out of each room in your home, and be sure those egress points aren't blocked.
- Choose an outside meeting place a safe distance from your home where everyone will meet once they've escaped a potential fire.
- Make sure your house number is visible from the road so emergency personnel can find your home.
- Assign someone in the home to assist infants or anyone with mobility issues in an emergency.
- Practice your escape twice a year.