If you're an Overland Park high school student and would like to learn about local government, be involved in your community as well as gain leadership experience, then be a part of the Overland Park Teen Council. We are now accepting applications for the 2014-2015 Overland Park Teen Council.
The Overland Park Teen Council is a program that allows high school students to get an inside look at local government. Students will be selected from both public and private high schools in Overland Park. Over the course of the school year, students will learn about different city departments, get a chance to attend committee meetings, and plan a community service project. In doing so, students will become more knowledgeable about local government and gain invaluable leadership skills.
- September 5: Applications due
- September : Selections and possible interviews
- October: Overview of the city and the program
- November: Planning and development session
- December: Off…holiday/finals
- January: Public works session
- February: Public Safety session
- March: Recreation Services session
- April: Community service project
- May: Wrap-Up and attend council meeting
How to participate
- Must be an Overland Park resident
- Must be a high school student
- Must be able to regularly attend all Teen Council activities
- Must submit:
- Letter of reference from a teacher, principal, or activities director
Letters of reference can be emailed or mailed to:
City of Overland Park
Attn: Chelsey Gordon
8500 Santa Fe Drive
Overland Park, KS 66212
The 2014-2015 application deadline is September 5.