Snow and Ice Removal

The city's Public Works Department follows a priority system for clearing snow and ice from the city's 1,900 lane miles of streets and bridges which averages over a million dollars each year.

During the past snow season, 2014-2015, Overland Park

  • Received 11.6 inches of snow, a less than the annual average of 20 inches.
  • Had nearly 3.5 inches of snow on Dec. 17, 2014.
  • Used a little more than 6,000 tons of salt on streets. The annual average is 6,000 to 8,000. The amount of snow is dependent on the number of events. For instance, more salt will be used if there are 20 snow events versus two snow storms that average 10 inches each.
  • Snowplow drivers traveled in excess of 100,000 miles clearing streets, and logged 13,900 hours from Nov. 1, 2014 to April 1, 2015.

Emergency Service Requests

Call 911 if you have a police, fire or medical emergency. Requests for emergency snow and ice removal will be directed by emergency service personnel.

Stay Up-to-date

During inclement weather, residents can get updates from:

Snow or ice concerns

To report a non-emergency snow or ice concern, use the city's online reporting system, Overland Park Cares, which also allows you to track your request.

Report minor vehicle accident

If you are involved in a minor vehicle accident during inclement weather you can "walk in" your accident report within 48 to 72 hours to the W. Jack Sanders Justice Center, 12400 Foster, or to the Myron E. Scafe Building, 8500 Antioch (lower level).

Drivers should exchange correct and valid information: names, addresses, driver license and license plate numbers and insurance information.

Minor vehicle accident defined:

  • no injuries,
  • vehicles are drivable,
  • substance abuse is not a factor,
  • not a hit and run.